My name is Patricia Ivan and I am the author of Connections, a blog documenting my attempt to file a grievance with Unfettered Mind over Ken McLeod’s behaviour with me and another student. You can read My Story here.
I just received this email today from a woman whom I do not know but who has apparently read my blog. In it she expresses the following concern:
I thought of you today as I see that Ken McLeod is back on the blogging and speaking circuit with both the Interdependence Project and Dharma Punx. I'm very concerned as these groups have a very young membership and both seemed very 'progressive' to me, however now I'm questioning my involvement in supporting them given that there are still many outstanding questions around Ken's behaviour that I'm sure have yet to be resolved.I was very disappointed to learn that Ken was still teaching, even more disappointed to learn that he was doing so under the auspices of your organization.
I read your grievance procedure, and thought you should know that Ken McLeod has violated many of the principles you cherish.
Your grievance procedure states that “Buddhist conflict resolution is not based on right or wrong, blame or guilt, winning or losing, offenders or victims. Rather, it is based on addressing the suffering of all concerned.” Did you know that you are supporting a teacher who has chosen not to address the suffering of two former students who felt harmed by his behavior, and that he has adopted an adversarial and litigious stance toward them? Did you know that, instead of responding to their attempts to talk to him about it, he, first, gave them the silent treatment, then stonewalled them through his organization?
Your procedure also says that you take hurt, fear, and anger seriously through “forums where everyone may speak honestly, safely, and completely about their own direct experiences and feelings.” I embrace your open-minded and open-hearted approach to hearing pain and anger. What would you think of the BOD representing one of your teachers alluding to grievants as “abusive” and calling them "evil" because they dared to speak about the pain and the harm done to them by their teacher?
Finally, your procedure says, “in seeking resolution, Buddhist practice values dialogue over silence, reconciliation over estrangement, forgiveness over resentment, confession over accusation, and atonement over punishment”, and that you support finding resolution which you recognize to be a difficult process.
I need your support and would like to invite you, and Ken, into a conversation that Ken has so far been unwilling to engage (to both of our detriments, in my opinion), a conversation in which we can all “speak honestly, safely, and completely” about our experiences and feelings.
I have been met with silence by many people to whom I have reached out so far. I dare hope that your response will be different, that someone someday may see the value in facilitating a real conversation, difficult though it may be, between Ken and the two grievants who have tried to speak to him about his behaviour.
Like you, I do not believe in or seek punishment or retribution but, if someone repeatedly avoids any meaningful conversation or discussion and even goes so far as to make unethical legal threats against those who have tried to publicly discuss it, I question whether such a person should continue to be invited to teach at events such as the one that will be sponsored by you on January 14th. As things stand now, this calls into question your commitment to the beliefs and values spelled out in your grievance procedure.
Thank you for you consideration,
Patricia Ivan
"I have been met with silence by many people to whom I have reached out so far."
ReplyDeleteNo answer is also an answer; or maybe, they got the impression that private things don't stay private.
Yes, no answer is also an answer. In fact, it speaks loud and clear.
ReplyDeleteI am not sure what you mean about private things not staying private, Anonymous. Care to say more?
From the very first paragraph of Against the Stream's WHO WE ARE section:"We wish to create and sustain communities of healthy, accountable, wise and compassionate people from every walk of life." Accountable and compassionate...hypocrisy at its finest. Time to walk that walk, Mr. McLeod and Mr. Levine.
ReplyDeleteWell, Against the Stream hasn't answered yet, but I think they are capable of putting one foot in front of the other.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Patricia Ivan’s letter, Against the Stream asked if Ken McLeod would consider making a public statement either defending himself against claims he considered untrue, or acknowledging unskillful behavior and charting a course to some acceptable resolution. He declined to make such a statement. Against the Stream withholds judgment about the truthfulness of the various claims made in this issue, but does not believe that silence is an acceptable response to such controversies. Therefore, we decided that we would not host Ken on January 14, 2014. We hope that our difficult decision expresses our aspiration for a community that embodies transparency, kindness and wisdom.
ReplyDeleteThe Teacher's Council of Against the Stream Buddhist Meditation Society
Thank you for your response. I appreciate your decision which is consistent with your aspirations and values as I understand them.
DeleteI do not find Ken's silence acceptable either, and hope that his Board of Directors counsels him to engage more productively with this situation. A real conversation between all parties involved would certainly be the first step in helping everyone move forward.
For those interested in further investigating the "truthfulness" of my claims, my blog links to original documents that anyone can verify.
This was well done all around. I commend you Patricia on your commitment to holding Ken McLeod to account, and I commend Against the Stream for helping to shine a light on this. I look forward to a Sangha unified in ensuring that there are no shadowy corners for unethical teachers to hide out in.
DeleteGood news, Against the Stream. Though such a shame that it has to be this way.
ReplyDeletePatricia, I am sorry for your suffering. I feel compassion for your situation and I respect you as a human being.
ReplyDeleteI just wrote a very long comment explaining my position on the situation with Ken, a human being who has helped me without knowing me, and whom I respect and value very much for his teachings.
Apparently Chenrezi felt that I wrote too much :P So I will keep this short.
You appear to be a very intelligent and capable woman. That's why I don't quite understand how this situation has come to be. Ken is a great teacher, and during practice he should be viewed as inseparable from Buddha and all other highly realized beings. Yet, he should also be recognized for what he is: a human being just like the rest of us.
He was probably embarrassed about everything that happened with you.
I don't think he took advantage of you though. I think you were just as much responsible for your relationship with him. I just can't see how, even as a teacher, it would be possible to manipulate you. You don't come across as that type of person. He doesn't come across as a womanizer or a manipulator either.
It is my opinion that he should be encouraged and allowed to teach. As what he teaches has a lot of value. Regardless of his faults, he is still a tremendous asset to this world. Obviously he isn't out there seducing all the young college freshman girls (lol, being 25 I've never met a girl my age or younger who's ever even heard of Ken. And I live in Seattle and go to Saturday services at nearby monastery, so I should've met someone who knew him by now.) I believe allowing him to continue to teach publicly, and privately will only do more good for this world and the people in it.
I will finish by mentioning one of my favorite phrases, from the Seven Points of Mind Training, one that I believe could benefit everyone who would strive to practice it in their daily lives, and one that I believe would be of benefit in your situation:
Drive all blames into one.
I will leave you with that, and my wish that both you and Ken find some resolution and are able to move on from your current issues. I hope my words here have not caused any harm. I wish you the very best, Patricia.
<3
Om Mani Peme Hung x 108
:D
Hi Josh,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment.
I agree that Ken is, as you say, "a human being just like the rest of us". I guess the difference between me and you is that I wonder why he isn't acting like one in this situation; why he doesn't just sit down and talk to two students with grievances instead of hiding behind ignoble silence and his board of directors. That is not what I would call very "human"; that is what I would call a power play.
In terms of who is "responsible" for which behaviours, each person is responsible for his or her own actions, and is accountable to those whom his or her actions have affected. So there we agree again.
Nobody is saying Ken should not be "allowed" to teach. What people are saying (including me, Against the Stream, and many others) is that Ken's silence is unproductive, harmful to everyone including himself. Nobody wants Ken to stop teaching, but nobody wants to enable this kind of behaviour. People want openness, integrity and (to use your word) humanity from their teachers. The ball is in Ken's court; nobody is stopping him...