Wednesday, July 17, 2013

anniversary post


Difficult conversations don’t have to be negative. They can be, and often are, the catalyst for needed change.   Learn how to maximize the likelihood that everyone involved comes out of the conversation with new ideas and new energy.
~Ken McLeod; executive coach

On June 29, Ken tweeted a link to an article recently published on his Unfettered Mind website called Removing Obstacles and Seeing the Basis in Relationships.  It is a review of some of his thoughts on human relationships and the “reactive patterns” that negatively affect them.

His new offering gave me pause.  First, because Ken positions himself as a relationship expert; and second, because his neat compartmentalizations do not reflect the breadth and depth of human relationships in real life.

Ken has peculiar qualifications for a relationship guru.  He has led a partially cloistered existence (seven years in retreat, single most of his adult life), has never had children or held down a regular “job”, and has no professional training or higher degree in the humanities.  After earning a Master’s in mathematics, he studied and practiced meditation for twenty years, then established himself as a Buddhist teacher and translator.  Now, as a “consultant” and executive “coach”, he expects others to unquestioningly accept him as an authority on their personal and professional relationships.   

A year ago, Ken was invited into a “difficult conversation” by me and another student grievant.  He could have applied some of the skills he markets to turn this conversation into a “catalyst for needed change” but, instead, he chose silence.  He broke this silence once to threaten lawsuits against two journalist who dared to mention that invitation to enter that “difficult conversation”, and a second time to privately apologize to one of them for his blunder. (Adam Tebbe, editor of Sweeping Zen, mentions the apology here) 

How, when Ken avoids “difficult conversations” in his own life, does he hope to help others with theirs?  

As to Ken’s theory of relationships, it is based on a conceptualization that is hyper-rational and impractically systematic.  Before being able to relate to anyone, we first have to identify the “interior obstacles” getting in the way of “seeing what the basis of the relationship actually is.”  Once we have done that, we apply the Buddhist practices of equanimity, loving kindness, compassion and joy to “remove” these obstacles.  Then we examine the “basis” of the relationship to determine whether it is founded on “shared aim”, “mutual benefit” or “emotional connection”.  Finally, we are ready to relate to others- but this must be done without attraction, aversion or indifference, and we must keep in mind the “basis” of the relationship so that we know our “responsibilities and obligations”.  We must not fall into “imbalance” or “confusion”.  

No wonder Ken thinks that “true relationship is relatively rare.”

According to this schematic representation, a relationship has to fit into one of three categories, reactions have to be one of three types, and the basis of a relationship has to be strictly utilitarian.  There is no room in such a rigid view for complex or altruistic relationships, ambivalence or ambiguity.  There is no room for spontaneity or relating to others as ends-in-themselves rather than as a means to satisfying a predetermined set of criteria.  Relationship is in fact presented by Ken as self-conscious, deliberate and willed rather than as uncontrived and unbidden.  

It seems that Ken would like to transpose some of the Buddhist tools he has developed in his private mental workshop onto the world he cohabits with others, treating relationship as an exercise in self-determination as opposed to a fluid exchange between two living beings.  In this he completely disregards the basic Buddhist tenet of interdependent origination, according to which we do not always get to choose whether, when and how we relate to others.  Someone really should inform Ken that relationships, like everything else in our lives, can arise all by themselves. 

One of the things Ken fails to consider is that others can be in relationship to us whether we want them to be or not, and that we do not completely control this aspect of our lives.  We do not always get to decide what obligations and responsibilities we have, nor can we always unilaterally disconnect from them when a relationship no longer suits us.  

On Ken’s view, unless there is some “basis” for a relationship, one is under no obligation to relate to anyone else.  I can ignore others if I want or, to quote Ken, “cut when I have to”.  In Ken’s world, personal accountability is optional.  

At least, in this regard, he practices what he preaches.  

In my own experience with Ken, when he suddenly, and without explanation, withdrew to his hole of silence, I wrote to ask him if, as my teacher, he had “engineered this situation as the ultimate koan”.  Ken replied in his final email communication to me: “I am not in the teacher role. I exited that role several months ago, and there is no going back… On my side, I'm not going to pursue a relationship with you. And, yes, I see no point in any further communication.  With best wishes, Ken” (personal communication; November 2, 2009).  

Many people admire Ken’s brand of cool, calculated, “unfettered” and emotionally deceased Buddhism.  They seem to see it as a way of “living awake” that values clarity and cleanliness over the messiness and intimacy of attachment.  This cool clarity holds a particular draw for technocrats and others who use retreat as a means to escape "difficult conversations" instead of responding to them in real time, unrehearsed and uncensored.  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Patricia. The more people communicate these kinds of experiences in the world of western Buddhism, the sooner the tide will turn toward, I can only hope, a more sane version of the work. That people except the expertise of someone like Ken McLeod as lying anywhere other than in Tibeten-English translation or living as a medieval-style recluse is, to my eyes, a symptom of the dishonest self-presentation that Buddhists permit themselves. Exposure is a powerful remedy for delusion. Thanks again for your courage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patricia,

    I also thank you for sharing these experiences and observations. Unsurprisingly, there is often a significant gap between the half-baked and pseudo-wisdom of some spiritual teachers about human affairs they sell as "
    coach" (a title that basically means these days "I don't have a proper degree/experience to do what I do and be recognized by some legitimate associations in the field of the merchandise I trade or sell") or "consultant" and their own life. I am curious about one thing. As far as I can tell from very few indirect evidence (e.g. you are thanked for the editing of his most recent book), you are aware and perhaps sought in the past the guidance of Albert Low and did so prior to Ken becoming one of your "teacher(s)". What was in Ken's teaching/guidance that appealed to you and was missing (perhaps the characterization is not quite right here) in Albert's teaching or guidance? I understand you may not want to answer such question or that a public comment on your blog may not be an appropriate medium (in which case I would glad to send you an email). Thanks again,

    JPL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JPL,

      Thanks for your comment.

      Actually, I sought Albert’s guidance after Ken’s. Ken was my first teacher. You have probably not read My Story, published on this blog, which details the history of that alliance. Here is a link to that post if you are interested:

      http://patriciaivanconnections.blogspot.ca/2012/09/my-story.html

      The teachings of Ken and Albert are superficially very different. Ken’s background is in the Tibetan tradition, Albert’s is in Zen. I started with Ken after a retreat here in Montreal in 2009; I was looking for a local meditation teacher and he invited me to be his student via Skype. When this fell through several months later, I was in urgent need of help and Albert kindly took me on as his student.

      I worked intensively with Albert for almost three years, during which time I edited two of his books. But then I had another “crisis”. During one sesshin, I realized that Zen was like a theater upon which to stage the roles of master and student. I could not see a way out of this. So I left. In fact, it was mutually agreed upon by Albert and me that it was best for me to leave.

      In a sense my critique of Ken and Albert is the same: to me they both pose as authorities in ways that I find harmful.

      You are most welcome to contact me by email. My address is patricia.i.ivanATgmail.com

      Delete